Quail Vomiting? Or sick?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah um... Weird topic. So it all started when I was just doing the usual and feeding the quail at 2:50. And then I just decided since it was a nice day I wanted to show my nice/injured quail how nice outside is. So, I took out one and held each in my hand in the sun before they started to flap and try to escape. Then, I came across my pair that I have sepreate for injuries. I took my male out first. Then I went to my female who was in there. It was kind of strange because earlier, I gave them more water after I forgot to fill it in the morning, so they were pretty thirsty. I let them drink, and i noticed that she drank an awful lot, and finished the rock sized cup! I took her out into the sun, and then, she started spitting out water like crazy!! It looked like she was vomiting clear vomit! My mom quickly told me to put her down because she might be deseased or sick. So, I put her back in the cage, and she kept drinking water. I got worried, so I moved the water away. She drank the water drops that were on the side of the cage. I moved the water to a kinda "high" place. Im really worried if you could help me I would be so grateful. Shes so sweet and I love her. Thanks!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not diseased - she overdrank because she was probably dehydrated. Very important to have water available at all times.

3. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Good. My dad started to question if she had rabies- from a fox attack earlier. My poor baby. [​IMG] I hope she feels better.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Birds don't get rabies - only mammals do.

5. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by