Quail VS the "other poultry" - lemme get this straight....

EggsForIHOP

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
TEXAS
I've always wanted to have a go at raising quail - see if I like them as much as my other birds, if I want to stick with it, ya know - a test run before a bigger commitment. I've done SOME research - but you can't always trust Dr Google....so can ya'll help clarify a bit???

Quail should be raised in their own housing apart from other poultry - okay, can do......but then I wonder....

Don't share any of the quail's equipment with the other poultry - does this include the incubator???? What about my brooder - is it safe to bleach everything down and then share? Or should the quails things be 100% their own always???

I bought 2 dozen coturnix eggs on a whim from ebay - won the bid for 99cents and the shipping was only $8 - so it's not like a huge loss no matter what as far as quality of bird or even fertility of the eggs. I just figured I'd give it a go as a test run of sorts and see if I enjoyed them as much as the other birds we have (because I can always eat them later and then invest in some "fancy pants" stock to play around with breeding and what not if I have fun with it ya know?)....but I don't wanta kill 'em or make anyone sick by hatching them in the same incubator thats had chicken, ducks, and geese hatch in it or by reusing a brooder other chicks have lived in.

I'll be honest - I'm the worlds LEAST patient person - so the fast aspect of everything with quail excites me lol! They hatch quick, grow quick, lay quick....I'm in the less than patient persons heaven here! I haven't done anything new or different in a while and I want to give them a go SO bad....so if I should go buy a little cheapy incubator tomorrow for their safety let me know. It's a test run but I'd still be sad if they hatched out only to get sick soon :(

Just wondering what the experts vote is on sanitizing between things and sharing after that....I see SO many conflicting things out there!

Just bleach out shared items between switching species. UV rays from the sun are also a fantastic disinfectant. I bleach all my stuff then set it out in the sun for 4-6 hours even when I'm not switching species.

Thank you - thats pretty much what I do anyways. I tend to go a little heavy on the bleach and the sun helps kill it lol....

One other thing - the ONLY birds we let free range totally are the guineas - they own this place! But, we also don't have any snake issues (for a farm in East Texas in the woods I'd say they do their job based on that :) )

Anyways, point being....should I be concerned about the guineas tracking anything over to the quail? They pretty much leave stuff alone...but they sure do wander all over all day :p

The main concern is that birds don't get "skin to skin" contact i.e. touching each other, and that the quail cannot eat the feces of other birds. If you have that covered, you're good.

AWESOME SAUCE! That makes me feel better tremendously!!! I'm really excited about these itty bitty little eggs lol...can you tell ???? I've waited SO long to try my hand at quail and I just can't wait to see how things develop...I bet I get hooked though...I REALLY enjoy my birds :D

Back
Top Bottom