quail waddling about on his elbows.......

vigibigi

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 19, 2012
There seems to be no end to my chick drama, as the third and last quail chick from one of our nests suddenly turned strange...

The same morning that his brother died after suffering from the effects of pasty butt, this chick who had been growing strong suddenly didn't want to get up. I found him sitting with his wings out looking very weak and it was obvious something was wrong. Given the previous disasters with his nest-mates (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...stipation-and-seizures-advice-opinions-please) I immediately assumed he'd be a goner soon enough. I separated him from the others and realised what he was doing was putting all his weight and walking around on his elbows!! (/knees...??) He wasnt putting weight on his feet, just keeping them stretched out in front of him. Obviously this made his life tricky, but since he's actually started getting much better, and after a few days of recovery he's started standing up again.

My immediate thought is that their food is not good enough - we're feeding them chicken layers pelletts as thats all we can get in the shop local to us, with hard boiled egg for extra protein. I know this is not ideal - does anyone knw what else we might supplement them with to help us out. Otherwise, has anybody seem this before?? Why are my quails so odd?! thank you :)

You CANNOT feed layer pellets to quail chicks. The calcium in the layer feed will kill them. Destroys the kidneys. If you cannot get gamebird starter, you would be better off with basic chicken chick starter and the hard boiled eggs you are feeding. Anything other than layer feed.

Last edited:
wow, thanks very much. I'll change that tomorrow. Does this explain the elbow thing?? Horrible to know we've been feeding then bad bad food for 3 weeks now, but thanks again!!

It could very well be contributing to the elbow walking. Kidney failure will leave them extremely weak. I would not feed any more of this feed today. Feed them anything else until you can get some other food.

Back
Top Bottom