Quail walking on entire feet

Discussion in 'Quail' started by momofseven, Apr 1, 2016.

1. momofseven

momofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    [​IMG]

This is our almost one yr old quail. She's been separated from the flock as she's having issues with balance and walking.
    No idea what may have happened, but she's using her entire feet to walk.
    What may be the matter?

2. momofseven

Dec 30, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    No one?

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Does her legs feel normal? Nothing broken, no sore places, is she resisting the same as any other quail if you grab a leg an stretch and flex it? No visible head injuries? And she has calcium available at all times and vitamin D3 in her food or access to UV light? None of the others are showing any symptoms?

4. momofseven

Dec 30, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes to all that, no head injuries that I have noticed, I'll check her resistance over again, but she's pretty tame, no issues like this
    with the others.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  5. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Well.. Don't really have any clues as to the cause then, but I'd just keep her warm and try to get as much good stuff in her as possible - hard boiled eggs, electrolytes and so on.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    If she is having balance problems and walking like this she may have boinked her head. Sometimes they can end up with permanent brain damage, but often they will improve and be normal. If she improves just be careful re-introducing her to the covey, she may be viewed as a stranger after a long absence.

7. momofseven

Dec 30, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    She's been separated for about 3-4 weeks now. Doesn't seem to improve much other than not falling over anymore. However I guess that's a start ;)
    Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by