1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail wasting a lot of food

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shellikirbey, Jun 8, 2016.

1. shellikirbey

shellikirbey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    How do I get my quail to not waste so much food?

2. Indiana Dreamin

Indiana Dreamin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    Let's see. You can ferment your feed. Use pellet feed (if that is available) have something to catch extra feed (dish in dish kind of system) or you can wait a little while (a few hours) to see if it will clean the feed off the floor.

3. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Give it the speech about starving quail in China.

1 person likes this.
  4. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Thanks..i ll try put something underneath the cage. I fed them a little more expensive game starting from birth till now I've started giving them a feed that's for all flock cause I now have ducks quail and chickens and it's not as high but I still hate to see a pile wasted and they just started laying. I have noticed my chickens when there loose in yard goes under the quail cage and gets some of it..thanks

5. eHuman

Mar 14, 2016
    I don't have mine on wire so waste is easier to manage or prevent. They are great foragers and will scratch for food if given the environment and chance.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  6. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Yea..I'm thinking bout putting them in a small coop I have with run that will hold 4 or 5 LG chickens after we get my larger coop done.I just started raising them and I don't really like them on the wire anyway..thanks

7. eHuman

Mar 14, 2016
    I am using a 24" x 36" x 8" masonry tub with a 12" tall bottomless cage mounted on top. Deep litter method on the cheap. It is growing out baby quail now but will become one of my breeding pens.

8. hooliganbros

hooliganbros Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    We are using plastic coffee containers with 2" holes cut. No more waste. Works great. [​IMG]
    Also, note the beer case in the background... the birds love to hide in there and when used up we toss it in the trash.

9. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Awesome thanks.. I'll have to try the coffee containers..

10. Indiana Dreamin

Indiana Dreamin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    Yes! Another reason to drink! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by