Quail wasting a lot of food

Let's see. You can ferment your feed. Use pellet feed (if that is available) have something to catch extra feed (dish in dish kind of system) or you can wait a little while (a few hours) to see if it will clean the feed off the floor.

Thanks..i ll try put something underneath the cage. I fed them a little more expensive game starting from birth till now I've started giving them a feed that's for all flock cause I now have ducks quail and chickens and it's not as high but I still hate to see a pile wasted and they just started laying. I have noticed my chickens when there loose in yard goes under the quail cage and gets some of it..thanks

I don't have mine on wire so waste is easier to manage or prevent. They are great foragers and will scratch for food if given the environment and chance.

Last edited:
Yea..I'm thinking bout putting them in a small coop I have with run that will hold 4 or 5 LG chickens after we get my larger coop done.I just started raising them and I don't really like them on the wire anyway..thanks

I am using a 24" x 36" x 8" masonry tub with a 12" tall bottomless cage mounted on top. Deep litter method on the cheap. It is growing out baby quail now but will become one of my breeding pens.

We are using plastic coffee containers with 2" holes cut. No more waste. Works great.
Also, note the beer case in the background... the birds love to hide in there and when used up we toss it in the trash.

Back
Top Bottom