Quail Waterers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Dec 30, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Can quail learn to use rabbit lick-it water bottles? I have a ton and this would be much easier for me to maintain. Also, how would I teach them if they can...? Right now I am using baby chick waterers.

Thanks in Advance!

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

all you have to do is hang the water bottles from the cages at a level that is comfortable for them to reach and set their water dish under the bottle spout with their usual water in it .Being as they are pretty nosy/curious they should peck at it . It only takes 1 or 2 to figure it out then they tell everyone else how it's done......that's what i did with my Coturnix anyway. They picked up quicker than i expected them to....O ! so the answer to your question is ...uhhh...Yes...lol

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That's all I use! I just poke holes in my wire "Quail Shelves" and attach the wire thingy onto them and there ya are! [​IMG]

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are you talking about water bottles? That's what I use for all mine [​IMG] They see the shiny spicket and start pecking at it and voila! Water [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I can't believe I used to use just chick waterers! [​IMG] They're so messy and ..ugh

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yay! Awesome! I can't wait to switch them! SOOO much easier for me. [​IMG]

Do you start them from hatch, or wait until they are bigger? Are they strong enough to push the ball in when they are so little?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I start out with a jar lid with water and marbles for two days and then I introduce the hamster water bottles...believe me once one figures it out, they all follow [​IMG] I remember when I had 150 babies and they were in a line waiting to get their water bottles [​IMG]

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Aww I can picture that! So cute!!! [​IMG]

9. yardbird tx

yardbird tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I switched over to bottles and they caught on using them in no time. Keep the other water in there for a day or two till they figure it out. But it takes no time for them to get it.

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Just supply them with the old water system tainted with ACV, and the new water system full of clean fresh water. They will figure it out on their own. If it takes them a few days to figure it all out, then they will not thrust to death in the learning curve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by