quail with a crooked neck

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    so I have this 1 bird he is 4 weeks old now the only problem is he cannot move his head pass the right side he can look forward and to the right but has problems to the left I do not see it being a problem right now as he has no other problems feeds and drinks properly.
    I am going to leave him be and see what happens I do not think it will be in issue later in life but I was wondering if it might be genetic or just a mistake.
    any input

2. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I'm not trying to act like a quail expert by any means, but I'd say unless it is an injury it is most likely a birth defect. I originally was going to say I doubt it is genetic, but had to edit to say I don't know, because I am not a genetics expert either! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    that is exactly what I thought it was so I was just going to leave him be and let him be

4. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    oh and I do mean it is a her so at least I'll get in eggs from her

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Sometimes kinks happen. In the brooder they can sleep a special way and their necks bend that way. I have a male that would sleep on one side and his head is a bit tilted. He is 3 weeks old and still kicking. I would leave him be unless you see problems in the offspring.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I had two Bob Whites that had crooked necks I isolated them & put chick saver & ACV in their water. With in a week they were fine & I put them back in with the others. No problems since they are now going on 9 months .

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    here is a good link

http://ps.fass.org/content/51/1/82.abstract

Abstract

A crooked neck condition in Japanese quail in which affected birds did not deviate phenotypically from normal ones until six to seven days post hatch and which appeared in both sexes was shown to be inherited. Mode of inheritance of this condition could not be determined. Possibilities are (1) a single pair of recessive genes with low penetrance (2) multiple genes. Inbreeding degeneration may also be involved.
    • Received February 27, 1971.
    • Poultry Science Association Inc.

and another

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/58/1/44.extract

[​IMG]

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I'v seen it once in coturnix. Three of five birds outta the same hatch, same line.... Started show'n signs about a week old. One died in a few days. One in a couple weeks. I culled the last one to do a autopsy on and see what was go'n on.... I feel its genetic...

EDIT TO ADD: I GOT PIX IF YOUR INTERESTED...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  9. kmsek

kmsek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    N Fla
    I have 1 male that broke/slashed stepped on by peers at aprox 3 days old, totally crooked hatched in november is fine he breeds eats and drinks .

10. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Just name him Zoolander and advise him to make 3 quick right turns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by