1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail with bubbles coming from the mouth?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Attack Chicken, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My friend picked up 14 quail chicks from me on Sunday and when she let them in their tub with food and water I guess a few drank water snd then a few had water bubbles coming from their beaks and two have died and another one is doing it now but quits after awhile after its drink. Whats up with these? My four are fine and not doing anything even my smallest little one Peanut.

Anyone know?

AC

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Is it choking and then trying to drink? How big is the feed?

3. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    She didn't say anything about choking. Just a couple go to the water, get and drink then bubbles come out of their beaks. After awhile it stops.

The feed she ground up using a magic bullet thingy. She said the feed wasn't dusty but it wasn't big crumbles.

I'm clueless [​IMG]h

AC

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I'm stumped..

5. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Same as me [​IMG] The water is in a little tubeaware lip which isn't deep. When they were at home the smaller ones were drinking from a lid and the bigger ones were drinking from a quail waterer.

The two that she has lost had been the smaller ones which were 3 days younger than the oldest batch. Also an older one is doing it? Says the bubbles happen right after it drinks then goes away.

Youngest chicks are a week old tomorrow and the oldest are a week and 3 days tomorrow.

AC

6. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    what temp. is she housing them at?

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sounds like they aspirated on the water. How far did they have to travel? Ducks and geese are bad for this, if they are without water for too long they will drink so much and make themselves sick. Sounds like the quail had their water go down the 'wrong way'.

8. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Thats what me and her were thinking...Was about a 30 minute ride from my house to hers. [​IMG] How could I be so stupid!

The brooder temp is right at about 100 degrees directly under the lamp but have plenty of room to move away from it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by