1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail with bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by davedavey, Mar 6, 2014.

1. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    I have a Cortunix hen with what looks like bumblefoot. I have several hens and roos and is this contagious. It is the scaley looking stuff on the bottom of her feet. I am just wondering if it is better to just dispatch her. I did spray some vetromycin on it tonight. Will that help? And no I am not taking it to the vet. She is just a breeder, not a pet. Dave

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Can you load a picture up here? Bumblefoot does not make scales on the bottom of the foot pads. Bumblefoot is not contagious either. Bumblefoot is an infection inside the pad of the foot from a puncture wound, cut or heavy bruising. They can also get it from standing too long on wire.

If the foot pad is really swollen, red and has a scab on the pad, then it is bumblefoot. With chickens you can do surgery, but it is a bit difficult with quail, being they are so small. But you can soak the foot in some warm epsom salt water for about 10 mins a day, apply some sort of antibacterial ointment and keep the bird on some very soft bedding material like pine shavings, grass hay or straw for several weeks. Be very clean. If you do attempt a surgery, make sure to use sterilized equipment, dig out the pus ball, use some antibacterial ointment and keep the foot wrapped with vet wrap for about a month til it heals. If you just do a surgery and don't wrap the wound, it will get horribly infected and kill the bird.

Antibiotics can be given by injection only. In the water antibiotics are useless for bumblefoot.

3. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Ok its not scales its scabs. They do come off with lots of bleeding. I have put her in a cage with soft footing and am treating with antibiotic cream.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Ok...sounds like bumblefoot. Keep the bedding very clean, ointment applied. With chickens you can do a surgery and get it cleared up fast. But quail are pretty small to do surgery on. Hopefully these feet heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by