1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail with Caged Birds?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by clawstar, Mar 13, 2016.

1. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I would love to mix my cot quail with some other birds. Any suggestions? Quail take up the space at the bottom of my aviary, so I would like a few small birds who will fly around on perches and stuff. But the birds must be reasonably hardy. I don't expect these birds to be out and about in the snow or anything, but birds who can withstand a cold winter with a heat lamp? Also please consider the birds. I would hate for the quail to attack the birds or the other way around. Quail are ground birds so they are unlikely to hurt a bird who normally stays off the ground, and can fly to get away from any bullies.

I live in Washington, so winters are cold, and it gets Wet and Windy year round. Aviary has a roof, and tarps can be placed to get rid of most wind. Small boxes and shelters can also be made for birds. New floor and wire sides will be added soon, so birds wont be able to escape, no matter how small they are.

Please comment me any ideas or recommendations. If you don't agree with mixing the birds, please be polite. I am aware that mixing species doesn't always work. I will have an appropriate back up plan, and will take care of all my birds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Birds I have kept together with button quail.

Cockatiels
    Any of the dove species
    Bourkes parakeets-any of the grass parakeets ABSOLUTELY NOT BUDGIES, LOVE BIRDS, CONURES, PARROTLETTS, MOST OTHER HOOK BILLS.
    Many of the finch species
    Canaries

With a lot of work mixed aviaries are fascinating.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  3. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    how would finch react to birds 10X their size? and the cold? heatlamp?

4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

5. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    And wind? Must I be cautious about that or will finch be smart enough (unlike quail XD) to find shelter in high wind?

6. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

If there's shelter they will find it. My zebra finches do well as long as temperatures stay above freezing.

7. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    so if I cut a finch-sized hole in the wire of a heated hutch, add perches along the hole and inside the hutch they will be fine?

8. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Make the holes big enough to fly through. Also, not all finch species would be suitable for what you want. Some are downright finicky. Be sure to do research before buying. And get them long before cool weather so they can become acclimated and know their environment well.

9. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Im thinking Society or Zebra. They will do well right? which should I choose?

10. mrbuttons

mrbuttons Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    So clawstar, I am interested in getting a pair of button quail. I believe they will do fine with the societies and zebras and may help me keep my food source (seed scatter) down to avoid feeding the mice. Do you know a breeder in WA?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by