quail with chickens

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chickhick, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Do any of you raise your quail near or with chickens? I've read the posts about the danger of diseases like Coryza, and of course I am concerned about that. But if you have a closed flock and your chickens don't have Coryza, then would it be safe? I'd like to hear from those who successfully keep them near each other, or at least don't "wash up" between handling one then the other. I've seen pictures of quail in cages with chickens walking around in the area, so I know it is bound to work for some people. Kind of like the warning about Blackhead with turkeys and chickens together. Many say "don't do it," but if you're not in a blackhead area then you are really safe.

I have arrangements for housing them separately, but I could raise a lot more chickens and quail if I didn't have to have them so separate. If I tried to have them near each other then I'd want to do it with just a few before I have very many. I want to know how much of a chance I'd have of keeping everyone healthy if I tried it.

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It is a really bad idea, the chickens will kill the quail, and they will get coryza. Your chickens can carry it, but they won't show symptoms.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
  4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that I raise my quail in rabbit cages hung 2-3' above the ground in the chickens run. I've never had problems, but I'm not going to say it's safe. [​IMG]

I've changed it a little since this picture... but it's essentially the same...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Much Like Russian Roulette... Its Not So Much If, But When...

Remember If They Happen To Survive Coryza (which Is Highly Contageous To Them And Will Run Thru Your Covey Like Wildfire... ) They Will Sero-convert And Become Carriers.... Which Means You Couldnt Put Any New Birds In With The Survivors Or House Them Near Any New Birds As They Will Be A Source For Infection In Any New Gamebirds You Get... So They Become A Dangerous Albeit Useless Commodity. Kinda Like A Drunken Monkey With An Assault Rifle... Sooner Or Later Bad Things Are Bound To Happen

6. Farmerman

Farmerman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Quote:Couldnt you then breed resistant quail with the survivors?

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    No Sir You Breed Future Cases Of The Illness.. Seroconversion Doesnt Give Immunity It Makes You A Carrier

If It Were That Easy Most Gamebird Spece Would Have The Same Resistance And Tolerances As Other Domestic Poultry, Unfortunately It Isnt [​IMG]

8. Farmerman

Dec 31, 2010
    Very interesting....

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Suppose The Main Theory ... Or At Least I Have Been Told, Is That Gamebirds Have Not Been Domesticated Nearly As Long As Other Poultry.. So They Have Not Acquired Natural Immunity That Is Passed Genetically Yet... Whereas Chickens And Ducks Have Been Domesticated Centuries Before Gamebirds They Have Had Time To Get The Job Done??

Or So Thats The Theory Anyways... Maybe The Gamebirds Are Simply Not Capable Of Building The Immunity??? Idk? Japonese Domesticated Coturnix A Very Very Long Time Ago... Same With Pheasants, But Yet They Are Still Quite Susceptible To These And Many Other Common Poultry Illnesses.... Coryza, Btw, Is Not Usually The Cause Of Death For Infected Gamebirds, Normally Its A Secondary Bacterial Infection That Deals The Death Blow. So It's Likely A Little More Complex With Them Than With Other Types Of Poultry (pure Speculation Here) Either Greatly Varying Immune Systems Or Even Different Physical Anatomy??? But 1 Thing For Sure, Gamebirds Do Not Respond To Many Antibiotics Like Chickens And Other Poultry Does... Usually They Require Combination Therapy And High Caliber Antibiotics At That.

The Whole Scenario Presents A Complex And Difficult Circumstance That Is Better Off Being Avoided If And When Possible

10. Farmerman

Dec 31, 2010
    this is really sad to learn about, I had wanted to get a broody chicken to see if I could re condition my quail to hatch their own eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by