Quail with large sore on bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KateA04, Jun 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. KateA04

KateA04 Hatching

Jun 24, 2019
    Hi, I just noticed one of my quails has a huge red sore on her bottom, see photo. I only have 3 quails, in a run 3m x 2m so they have plenty of space, shaded areas and undergrowth to hide in. She is acting normally as far as I can see, she is quieter a nervous bird, about 4months old. I can’t tell which are her poops. I think I should hold her in warm water for 10-15 mins to try and clean her, maybe with some apple cider vinegar in? Any suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Eggcessive and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. KateA04

KateA04 Hatching

Jun 24, 2019
    Thanks, I think you’re right.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @KateA04 :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your Quail. I don't know much about Quail, but I do agree it looks like a prolapse.
    Do you feel an egg stuck in there?
    Giving her a clean up/soak would be good. I would use epsom salts instead of vinegar.
    If the tissue will not go back in, do what you can to keep that exposed tissue moist - use coconut oil, honey, hemorrhoid cream, etc. - the purpose of this it to keep the tissue from drying out while exposed. Sometimes a prolapse does not go back in immediately, sometimes swelling has to go down a little first.

Keep her drinking. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, I would give her a direct dose at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

Let us know how she is.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-issues-and-keeping-your-quail-healthy.67379/

Eggcessive and HuffleClaw like this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Agreed with previous posters that it is a prolapsed cloaca. Follow @Wyorp Rock ‘s advice. Keep it moist so the tissue doesn’t dry out. Push it back inside when possible.

Wyorp Rock and HuffleClaw like this.
  6. KateA04

KateA04 Hatching

Jun 24, 2019
    Hi all, thanks for the advice. I cleaned her up and pushed it back in with some Sudocreme. Took 3 attempts but it stayed in overnight. I’ve now separated her from the others and she’s in the darkened coop so she doesn’t try and lay. She’d only just started laying (yes, v late at 4 months) but I don’t mind not getting eggs from her, they’re so sweet. Cross fingers for her.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I hope it stays in and you have no more problems.
    She does have calcium available correct?

8. KateA04

KateA04 Hatching

Jun 24, 2019
    I checked the calcium content of the feed and it’s 1.25%, a bit low I think? When I bought it the guy in the shop said I didn’t need extra shell, but I just bought some and put a little bowl of it by their feed. I checked her about 10mins ago and still ok. Been in the dark all day though, poor thing. Will let her out soon for a couple of hours of freedom before bed.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, I would definitely make calcium available for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: