Quail with lice but can't get Sevin dust.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by leahthor, Mar 13, 2011.

1. leahthor

leahthor Chirping

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    OK, as the title states. I picked up some quail last weekend, thought I looked them over well enough but nope. Noticed one roo had a spot of blood on his back, picked him up and lo and behold, lice.

I'm in Canada, can't get Sevin dust. What else can we use? What about Ivermectin? I should deworm them anyways but will this kill the lice too?

2. Kwartel

Kwartel Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ivermectin will get rid of both internal and external parasites. I've never used it on quail myself, but maybe others will have more info on that.

You can also get Diatomaceous Earth (DE) and sprinkle it around their living area to help control mites and lice. It is safe to dust the birds with as long as you keep it out of their eyes. You can also sprinkle it in their dust baths. Be sure to use food grade, as any other kind is dangerous for birds and other pets.

Missy Coturnix likes this.
  3. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Missy Coturnix likes this.
  4. leahthor

leahthor Chirping

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Thanks guys! I have some DE that I'll put in their bedding after I clean them out (which I JUST did yesterday for goodness sakes) and treat the birds. Guess I should let the guy know that I bought them off that he has lice in his quail pens.

Well at least I found out now instead of later considering I'm putting 4 dozen eggs in the bator this week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: