quail with swollen leg *Ingrown Leg Band*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mykee, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

My coturnix quail has a small plastic legband imbedded into her leg. I noticed her limping a few weeks ago and thought thought she just had a small sprain becuase she got better quickly, but today when I was cleaning their pen I noticed the band. It is pretty deep in her leg, and the skin around is swollen. I don't know how to get it off because every time I hold her she freaks out. Do you have any suggestions how I can keep her calm and get the band off without harming her?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Trying holding her in a towel, I'd be more worried about getting that thing off right away.

Once it's off, I'd spray the area with something antibacterial or really a wound sealing spray would be best.

That is why I use the expandable wrap-around leg bands.

3. Mykee

How can I cut it though? I can't get underneath the band.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I would use a toenail clipper, the big nasty long one for ingrown nails.
    Try to hold her on her back, and rub her belly, it may calm her down.
    Maybe cover her with a towel. You may have to cut it twice, once on each side of her ankle, so both halves come off without having to try to twist it off, and do her any more pain.
    Grease the wound up good with Neosporin afterwards.
    Good luck!

5. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    You aren't going to get under it, you have to be careful and go from the top.
    There may be a little puncture if you go too deep, but it is the only way to get it off.

6. Mykee

I got the band off![​IMG] Tomorrow I will rinse her leg with peroxide. I held her upside down to keep her calm, then my dad cut the band off with toenail clippers. Thanks for all your help!

7. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Try to get some cream on it now. It is an open wound, if you wait till tomorrow, it may be worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by