Quail with swollen legs and feet

emhalloran

Chirping
Jan 28, 2016
Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Hi all

I have a quail and for the past couple of months my pet quail has developed nasty swelling in his feet
One foot went down over time but the other is swollen around the ankle joint and has turned a purple colour...he can still move around but limps as you would expect
He eats and drinks fine and seems otherwise well
I originally thought he had bumblefoot but I thought that would have killed him by now ?
I have considered a trip to the vet but wonder if it is worth it
Any ideas on what it could be and how to treat it ?

Thanks
Emily

Coturnix? Have you checked that nothing is restricting the blood flow in the area? Read about a quail that had an invisible piece of hair around its ankle once. As far as I know, you should be able to determine whether it's bumble foot by looking for a black dot (like a plug) under the foot. The purple color seems to suggest restricted blood flow though. Pic, perhaps, if there is no string and no plug?

Thanks for your reply :)
I'm not sure what type of quail he is as he was given to me and I do not know a lot about quail

There doesn't appear to be a black dot anywhere on his feet. I also checked for anything restricting blood flow and couldn't find anything
It has been going on for some time now and he is finding it harder and harder to get around
his other leg seems to be swelling again too
I may have to take him to a vet
I will post some photos soon

Back
Top Bottom