quail with tremors??

matt swenson

Songster
Feb 1, 2019
Cape Cod
got a quail that seem to fine, visual inspection, can find no injuries. another quail was pulled through the wire last night by a raccoon but this one seems perfect. good feathers,fat and healthy, plenty of water in pen, eyes look good. age about 6 weeks old. has tremors unable to walk. legs seem to work fine, if put on it's back "bicycles" it's legs in air. if put right side up, raises butt in the air, all the time trembling. just started today. seems similar to a bird that smacks into a plate glass window. might have injured itself in a way i cant see, which is my guess. i'm thinking flew to hard into top of pen. just checking to make sure this isn't the "classic" signs of any disease. rest of the flocks seems fine.
As to the other bird, first raccoon attack this year. there will be a " DYI coon skin hat kit" available in the near future if anybody wants to go as Davey Crockett for Halloween.

Can you trap and dispatch the Raccoon? He will be back.[/QUOTE]

legally? no. i can however pay a "trained licensed" animal removal service 100+ bucks to do it. which i will do. wink wink

got a quail that seem to fine, visual inspection, can find no injuries. another quail was pulled through the wire last night by a raccoon but this one seems perfect. good feathers,fat and healthy, plenty of water in pen, eyes look good. age about 6 weeks old. has tremors unable to walk. legs seem to work fine, if put on it's back "bicycles" it's legs in air. if put right side up, raises butt in the air, all the time trembling. just started today. seems similar to a bird that smacks into a plate glass window. might have injured itself in a way i cant see, which is my guess. i'm thinking flew to hard into top of pen. just checking to make sure this isn't the "classic" signs of any disease. rest of the flocks seems fine.
As to the other bird, first raccoon attack this year. there will be a " DYI coon skin hat kit" available in the near future if anybody wants to go as Davey Crockett for Halloween.
Hi @matt swenson I'm sorry about your Quail.
Hopefully @007Sean will be along with some help shortly.

I don't know much about Quail, but it's interesting you mention the symptoms seem similar to when one flushes or has a head boink. It seems that keeping her calm, warm and offering supportive care would be your best option at this time. Even though the Raccoon didn't get her, she may still be shocky or suffered a great fright. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-issues-and-keeping-your-quail-healthy.67379/

quail died shortly after, rest of the flock is fine. raccoon still at large. got another bird, trail cam witnessed, 3 am attack. sneaky sucker.

I would check or call fish and wildlife to come get it, raccoons are predators and most places if it is after your animals can be dispatched with out cost or penalty

Back
Top Bottom