QUAIL....YUM

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SamG347, Jun 29, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I'm going to be incubating and hatching out some Jumbo Brown and BLACK cortunix here in about 3 weeks. My plan is to use most for the table but some I'm going to keep for breeding my new Jumbo BLACK line. Any suggestions on how to butcher...process/clean....and cook quail would be appreciated. I have heard many killing methods but nobody has really described the process/cleaning part. Would sharp shears be the best tool to kill them?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Black Jumbos! When will you be selling hatching eggs? Do they breed true? How much will you sell the eggs for?

Information for a Jumbo Coturnix color addict! [​IMG]

As for killing, I use a sharp pair of kitchen scissors. If you don't care about the skin then cut off the head, let the blood drain out, clip the wings and work your finger into the wing hole between the flesh and the skin. It will peel right off for you. The first few times are a hassle. After that you can usually peel it all off in one piece. I salt mine and save them to sell later or use for crafts.

Once you have the skin off, cut a small hole beneath the breastbone with the scissors and pull out the innards. I separate mine out: some go in the edible bag and the rest go in the bait bag. I plan on making a mean gravy, soup or something once I get enough hearts, livers and gizards collected.

If you do want the skin saved, you can either dry pluck or boil the quail for ten seconds - be careful not to overboil. Plucking is pretty easy, which is a blessing and a bane: the feathers come out fine but the skin is delicate and tears.

3. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Not sure when I will have hatching eggs and yes they will breed true. Eggs will be a little more exspensive than my Jumbo Browns....
    Probably
    $10.00 plus shipping for 24+ eggs.

I will be keeping a lot of my first eggs to hatch out new birds for breeding.

Thanks!

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:You have Jumbo blacks too?!? You must post pictures!

5. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I will be working on my own JUMBO BLACK line. As far as I know there arent any JUMBO Black cortunix out there....there are the regular black/brown size birds known as Tibettan/British Dark range....but I will be breeding mine for SIZE and pitch black color.
    [​IMG]

6. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Perfectly Polish, if you sell black hatching eggs I wouldn't mind buying some from you, too [​IMG]

Sam, that price sounds reasonable for jumbo blacks. Whenever you have eggs let me know. My Tibetans are still in the incubator for another week so this saves me a ton of time.

And i agree. Pictures!

7. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I would be interested as well. I'm hoping my tibetian and tuxedo jumbos survive to adult size and wouldn't mind getting a new color lol. I have british rangers in th incubator at the moment which are mostly headed for the table save a breeding trio.

As far as killing I'm thinking machete or hatchet. Though it was sugguested to me that sharp shears do the job perfectly but I'm afraid of botching it and cutting too low or something.

8. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Well my quail babies are only about a week old, so I guess another 6-7 weeks before they start laying.

9. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I will update with pics of my Jumbo Black project each step of the way in Other Poultry. And will let you all know when I have eggs. Perfect are those chicks from my eggs?
    [​IMG]

10. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:They sure are [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by