Quail?

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We're not getting anything new for a few months at least, but have been toying with the idea of getting quail, mostly because they are extinct in our state and I miss their calls. But I don't know anything about keeping them...can they free range and if so, do they come home at night? How well do they coexist with chickens and what kind of care do they require? I talked to someone who works for the State natural resources and his opinion is they're a waste of money unless you're going to keep them in a pen; says they're totally clueless when they free range and quickly get eaten. Is this true?

I don't think they would ever come home at night, I think when you let them loose they will leave. Quail often make an easy meal, but all small birds do. If you want to reintroduce them to your area, I would have them in a pen, and when the babies grow up release them into the wild (if that's legal in your area). I know several people around here that do that with their birds. What kind of quail do you want to get?

Last edited:
I don't know what their scientific name or breed name is; their common name here was "bobwhite", because of the call. Thanks for the info; that kinda matches up with what the wildlife guy said; he said if it were that easy (to just let them go) the State would've done it by now.

Bobwhite are a common breed, I've seen the eggs for sale before. Never be discouraged! You can always try, it may take a few years of letting the babies go, but you might be able to start up a small population in your area. It would be fun to try anyway!
big_smile.png
I've always wanted to breed the kind that live here and let them go, but I can't find them for sale anywhere. :mad:

Quote:
LETS JUST SAY YOU'D ONLY FREE RANGE THEM FOR A DAY OR SO....

EITHER THEY'D END UP A TASTY SNACK OR BORN FREE!

YOU CAN HOWEVER KEEP 'EM IN A FLIGHT PEN IN A COMMUNITY SETTING AND THEY DO QUITE WELL....

Back
Top Bottom