quail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL...
YaY

i don't know what you need to do.. but i could tell you some things not to do....
do not put them in the toilet...
do not put them in the oven....
do not let them run in the road...
do not lock them in the cage with a cat....

okay.. not helping.. sorry.. lol...

grats on the hatch.... how many???

use a quail base waterer if u can't and have a regular chick waterer use marbles or rocks in the base to keep them from drowning. quail r stupid when it comes to that and r worse than peeps with it and i have no idea why. when we raised them that was the bigest thing we had to do and the others were grinding up the feed and watching for pasty butt. for extra protein we used meal worms for treats or soybean meal mixed in the feed but here u have to buy it by the 100lbs and takes forever to use.

Hopefully you have a quail water base, if not you'll definitely need to add rocks or marbles to the waterer so they don't drown. Quail chicks seem to be attracted to water for quite a while.
I feed mine a mash when they are young, it's easier to make (as opposed to grinding the feed), plus it cuts down on waste. Just add enough water to the feed to make it wet, and mash it with a fork. Get feed that is as high in protein as you can, medicated or non, doesn't matter.
You'll want to keep the temp of the brooder at least 98* for at least the first few days. #1 reason why people lose them is because of piling, which they'll do if they are cold.
Sometimes they hatch really fast, one right after another; other times they draw it out. You don't want to leave the chicks in the bator any longer than 24 hours, but 12 is better. You can open the bator when they are still hatching, just try to do it when there is a 'lull' in the popping.
Keep them on paper towels for the first few days. If you do grind their feed, make sure to sprinkle some on the floor to get them to eat. If it is mashed, keep it in a shallow bowl so they can walk over it and eat. You shouldn't need to show them where the water is, they seem to find it on their own. You can show one or two if you like, they'll show the others.
Decrease the brooder temp by 5 degrees at least every week for the first 3 weeks, they won't need much heat after that. If they are inside still they shouldn't need any. This past summer I was moving my babies outside at 3 weeks old with no heat. This time of year, you'll want to wait till they are 6-7 weeks old at least.
Pine pellet bedding works better for them, quail chicks get pretty stinky, and the pellets absorb a lot more stink than the shavings do. You can mix shavings and pellets together, since the pellets are pretty slippery. You can put them on this bedding after they are eating very well, probably 3-5 days.
That's all I can think of right now, good luck with the hatch!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
oohh broody quail... i don't know why i didn't think about that before.. i think quail eggs and incubator automatically pops into my head..
i bet a broody quail is about the cutest thing ever....
don't mind me... i've had half a bottle of wine and only a salad for dinner.. lol..

Quote:
oohh broody quail... i don't know why i didn't think about that before.. i think quail eggs and incubator automatically pops into my head..
i bet a broody quail is about the cutest thing ever....
don't mind me... i've had half a bottle of wine and only a salad for dinner.. lol..

I've only heard of a few cases of coturnix being broody, and most of them weren't in this country
smile.png
Not likely, these are more likely in the incubator. Now if it were buttons, that would be different, coturnix are like the production reds of the quail world
smile.png

thanks for all the help on has hatched and one is pushing about five r pipping this is a batch of twenty

Back
Top Bottom