Quail

Lone Wolf

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
I would love to see any photos or hear any experiences that you had with any breed(s) of quail.
jumpy.gif

Thanks,
Grace

I haven't owned quail for long, but have done enough research to know a decent thing about them.
It started off with a trio of japanese quail;

We incubated their eggs a month later;

And got 11 chicks in total, when they grew up, we got 5 males, 6 females. 1 was a runt who I believe was a female, her name was Snow. She sadly didn't make it to adulthood. But we got a diverse colour range from the chicks, (3 browns, 3 roux dilutes, 3 unknown white and brown colour and 2 whites.)

So, they grew up. Moved in with the parents.

Gave away 4 of our males.
Kept one male.

Two of my original females died, one from a sickness which we were unsure of and unaware, either worms or another sickness, named Pepper. And the other female,named Caramel, (shes the one looking at the camera above) died recently of what I'm presuming was eggbound, which was quite depressing as we had no knowledge of her being ill as she was perfectly fine and seemed healthy. She was heavy to pick up apparently, and one of our hens wasn't laying an egg, but I never knew it was her. So its sad to lose my first pets and my first tamed ones so soon.

Now I have a convey of 7 quail living together happily.
(I opened the back door and they came running out as they love to explore, these are 3 of my girls who hatched from incubated eggs.)

And now to current, one of my quail has surprisingly gone broody and will hopefully hatch out the next generation.

And that's briefly what happened during my experience with quail.

Last edited:
wait arnt the quail all related?
One would think so, but apparently they are not. This is copied straight from Wikipedia:

Quail is a collective name for several genera of mid-sized birds generally considered in the order Galliformes. Old World quail are found in the family Phasianidae, and New World quail are found in the family Odontophoridae. The buttonquail are not quail at all, are named more for their superficial resemblance to quail, and are members of the Turnicidae family, more closely related to the Charadriiformes. The King Quail, a member of the Old World quail, is often sold in the pet trade; and within this trade is commonly referred to as a "button quail". Many of the common larger species are farm-raised for table food or egg consumption, and are hunted on game farms or in the wild, where they are sometimes artificially stocked to supplement the wild population, or extend into areas they are normally not found naturally.

So, it's never too late to "learning something new everyday".

Lucky you that the parents accepted them. I hatched 25 chicks, thesr are two of them, I sold all but 4 of them. 1 hen was welcomed, 1 roo killed and this pr are back inside. Next time my hatch will be timed to sell the parents to the gun dog trainers. I will not make the same mistake twice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom