Quails 2 weeks can they move to cages in barn

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amandagallant, Apr 3, 2018.

1. amandagallant

amandagallant Hatching

Mar 23, 2018
    Hi I am new to quails and we have a batch of 2 - each tub (large storage bin) has about 24 chicks in it. Now they are 2 weeks old they are getting overcrowded and I worry they might get sick and start dying. Can we move them out to the barn in their cages with lights on them or will this be too cold for them? And perhaps too much of a temperature change? Ps I am in Ontario and it is about zero degrees right now. The barn is warmer but not heated

2. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    As long as they have a large enough warm spot they should be fine. Make sure it stays warm enough in the warm area though when the ambient air temperature drops at night. Can you wrap a blanket around one end of the cage to keep the heat in perhaps?

3. amandagallant

amandagallant Hatching

Mar 23, 2018
    Thank you very much for the quick response. Do you think that overcrowded space in the house is a bad thing? One of them looks like it is loosing feathers could this be a sign that they are too crowded and could be getting sick

4. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    What sort of quail are they? I've had Button quail start to pluck feathers out of siblings and it's due to over crowding and boredom. Sometimes only one bird or one colour is targeted. Coturnix are generally more easy going about being crowded.

5. amandagallant

amandagallant Hatching

Mar 23, 2018
    They are Coturnix and it seems to be the white ones that are losing a few feathers I watch them and they are plucking at themselves like cleaning I guess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: