Quails and Chicken together

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pancholoco, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    I have a pen with 17 quails inside of chicken run 5 feet above ground Quail will be affected by chickens? Any disease? Help please

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is possible that disease could be an issue. Chicken dander carries disease and when your chickens molt, the dander does fly. Just make sure that when you are in the chicken run, your hands are sparkling clean and have not touched anything "chicken" until you are done with your quail. Do not share any chicken utensils with your quail and also do not allow the chickens to roost on top of the pen. Always think bio security for the quail.

However, only time will tell if your situation keeps your quail healthy.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    Thanks, good to know that. Sometimes I took my quails out of the pen and I put them down in the chicken run ground (of course chicken wasn't there) and I didn't have any problems yet. I'll take care of that.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is not the actual presence of chickens...it is the bacteria and virus's in the poop, dirt, feather dander and such. So by allowing the quail access to the same dirt as the chickens is exposure to something the chickens might be carrying that may be deadly to your quail. Not every chicken is carrying something harmful to quail, but it is not worth the risk. The chickens will not be showing signs of anything as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by