Quails and chickens . . . help please

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quailbuddy, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    hello everyone i am new to this site and I wanted to ask a question . . . . I really want to raise pet quails but am not finding too much info and my sister wants egg laying chickens. If it matters she is currently looking at " showgirls" and "Silkies". Can they be housed together in a large pen with houses for each on ( small house for the quails and bigger one for the chickens) as well as seperate feeders. I am new to this so any advice would be greatly appretiated [​IMG]
    ~ Quailbuddy

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Not a good idea.
    I would seperate the pen.

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I had just sent you a PM, lol. Anyways, as I said in the pm, chickens and quail housed together is a big "no-no". You'll most likely end up with dead quail. Check out the sticky at the top of this section to find some excellent information. There are even quail pens listed to give you an idea of what you can build for the quail.

4. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    ok thank you, I definately wouldnt want to end up with a dead quail [​IMG] . . . Would they be okay to get in a group of 2 or group of 4 ?

5. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    oh and my sister also had an idea to make a big hutch but put a wood wall between it and one side could house chickens and one side quails . . . would that be ok

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Not really it can be done but general rule

Chickens and gamebirds in close contact can cause diseases for gamebirds
    Chickens carry diseases that quail have no imunity to
    In defense they say 100 feet away from each other i have quail in the same aviary as my chickens though completely seperated and have had no problems
    My aviary has 12 in. manson sand in the bottom and is extremely clean though

7. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    okay t=thank you for your info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by