Quails and Chickens

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SpotsandStripes, Oct 30, 2011.

1. SpotsandStripes

SpotsandStripes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    I was just looking aroung forum when I read a thread that says chickens and quails can't be near each other.

I was going to put my quails in this house
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRA-LARGE-DELUXE-RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-OUTDOOR-HUTCH-UNDER-RUN-NEW-PISCES-ROME-/380376916162?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item58903b20c2#ht_1852wt_956
    surrounded by a larger run which will have the chickens in it, so that both quails and chickens are protected against fox. Can I not do this? What are the possible dangers with doing this.

Would like any extra bits of information, past experiences or how your quail housing is set up

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    There is huge controversy about keeping chickens with quail. So you will have to decide for yourself. I personally wouldn't do it because of disease transfer, although others have done it with out problems.

That looks like great housing for quail and as long as you predator proofed it, I think the quail will enjoy their new home!

[​IMG]

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:I agree with twocrowsranch, you'll have to make your own call on this one. I personally keep quail and chickens next to each other with no issues...But even I don't think I would put a quail cage, inside a chicken run....

The picture you linked does look like an awesome house for quail as long as it did have extra predation measures applied.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I keep chickens next to goats next to ducks next to quail. The chickens free range when I'm outside, often up next to the quail pen where they like to dig in the rich earth around the pen. I'm new to raising chickens (but not quail and ducks), so I have no specific experience, but I read all the data and this is the decision I came to. However, I wouldn't keep the pen inside the other pen if for no other reason but that it takes up space the chickens might appreciate having. I think that pen you are thinking of could work just fine free-standing, if you add a couple amendments (like a wire skirt and making sure it can't be tipped over by a raccoon).

Plus, it will be nice not having to go through the chicken pen to get to the quail or just to sit and watch them--and they can be so entertaining! Also, you may be able to move that pen around periodically and give them fresh grass and things to munch on.

Good luck whatever you decide!

5. bantamboy

bantamboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    i never did think about the disease transfer i was always worried about them figting or killing each other

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by