Quails and chickens?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Cydneybirdlova8, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Cydneybirdlova8

Cydneybirdlova8 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Can I breed my coturnix quail make with my chicken hen when she starts laying? The quails full grown and the hen is still young but when she CAN start breeding, can I? There are quail chickens out there yes but can I do it with them being healthy??

2. Ironsun10

Ironsun10 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    Cumbria UK
    Hi,

The simple answer to this question is No. It simply can not happen.

They are different species.

Ironsun.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Boy...you ARE desperate for quail babies! LOL

4. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    Breed a chicken to a DUCK and come up with a chick-a-duck. They make the funniest call in the early morning when it's time to get up

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Wikipedia seems to think it can be done........

Just google - chicken quail hybrid - some has written a book about chicken/game bird crosses.......

6. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    But it does say using artificial insemination! I was wondering how they would do it naturally lol as the size difference is too great plus they have to pair up and chickens and quail generally don't get on.

7. Cydneybirdlova8

Nov 30, 2013
    I've heard and seen it done on the Internet. Weather it's true or not. I think I'll try it. Anyone have any cons I should know about?

8. Cydneybirdlova8

Nov 30, 2013
    If you saw it from my point. You Would be too. I once had a quail baby named Spee-Demon. We hatched her from the incubator and she was the only one who hatched. One time I was playing with her and I went to reach for something and she went under my leg and I accedently put my leg down on her and killed her. I cried for days she was only a month old. I felt so bad. That's why I want a baby so bad.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can imagine how hard that was. Things happen. You might want to order some eggs here on line and hatch a new batch of babies.

James Marie Farms sells THE most quality eggs around. Not only WILL they hatch, but they will be the healthiest quail possible.

http://www.jamesmariefarms.com/

He has not been on BYC in ages, but you can ask James The Bald just how good his eggs and birds are!

10. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Agree 100%. I had 2 horrible hatches (with eggs from a source which will not be revealed), but had one fantastic hatch from JMF eggs. From the previous attempts, 2 hatched out of 15, and the second, 11 out of 18 hatched, but only 5 survived the initial 2 weeks, with several deformities that I had to cull. From JMF eggs, all the chicks that hatched survived, with no deformities. These were the Texas A&Ms from JMF, and I ended up with 22 hens and 8 roos. At 6 weeks, 50% of my quail were 14oz. At 10 weeks of age, I started getting 22 eggs a day. With the white quail, it was a little difficult to sex them, but the males crowed and made it easier for me to figure out which was which. My big girls are breeders and the rest I keep for eggs. From the breeders, I recently hatched out 24 chicks from 30 eggs, and no deformities.
    Just my opinion, but buying eggs from another source is just a waste of time and money. Sorry if I offended anyone with that statement, but that is how I feel about the quaility of their eggs.
    James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by