Quails hatching!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rule6660, May 10, 2011.

1. rule6660

rule6660 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Boothbay
    So i have 3 new quails in the bater this morning, and more on the way. How long do i leave the quail in there? and how long should i wait on the remainder eggs? A week? Thanks for any info!!

2. Quail37

Quail37 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    not a professional..but go longer than 24 hours after first hatch.. cuss i have seen em hatch and think their all threw...and all a sudden notice a pip or a lil crack in an egg. which will eventually harch.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Move Them Once Dry And Fluffy... Try To Batch Them So As Not To Open The Bator Any More Than Necessary But Gamebirds Need To Get To Food/ Water Asap Once Hatched

4. rule6660

May 5, 2010
    Boothbay
    How do I get them to eat and drink? I have them in a totewith a dish of food and water with marbles. I left the house for a few and came home to soaked chicks.

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    #1 They Must Be Protected From The Water Font... Use Quail Font Or Set Marbles/ Rocks/ Whatever In The Chicken Font Until They Have To Literally Reach Down In Between The Rocks To Get Water. Do Not Set Heat Sources Near Water Fonts... Set Them On The Opposite End Of The Brooder. These Guys Are Lil Fuzzy Heat Seeking Missiles, Water + Danger As They Drown Very Very Very Easily... So Do Not Make The Water/ Danger Zone Warm- Move The Heat Source As Far From It As Possible... Dont Worry They Will Instinctively Seek Out Water And Drink. They Will Venture Away From The Heat Zone To Get A Drink Then Come Right Back And Thats Precisely What You Want.

Now Remember That Whole Heat Seeking Behavior? They Will Seek Out Water, But Must Learn To Eat (yeah I Know, Not The Birghtest Crayons In The Box :p) Anyways Use That Behavior To Your Advantage... Set The Food Dish Directly Under The Heat Source... They Will Congregate There And "find" The Food Eventually. A Nice Shiney Dome On Top Of The Feed Never Hurts Either... Something To Grab Their Attention

6. rule6660

May 5, 2010
    Boothbay
    Thank you. so i have 10 eggs left in the bater how long should they stay in there? its now been 24 hrs from the 1st hatch.

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Personally Let Coturnix Ride Up To Day 21... I Have Had A Few Late Bloomers, But Normally By Day 21 If They Are Still Alive In The Eggs They Are Usually Too Weak To Hatch And Will Die Dispite Best Efforts

8. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Lucky! I think you should take the hatched ones to the brooder (not that I know much about quail...).

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I move them twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. So some can be up to 12 hours old when I move them but they don't seem to mind. Keeps from having to open the incubator 50-million times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by