Quails in bottom of aviary

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Barts2015, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Barts2015

Barts2015 New Egg

Jan 10, 2017
    Hi guys, my husband and I are building an aviary for my 2 Green Cheeks Tika and Rory and we're thinking of using the floor space for 2-3 quail. My dad used to have quail and i love their eggs, they're such cute little things too.
    The plan would be for them to be there to help keep the floor a little cleaner and to provide some eggs.
    We're going to build them a little corner shelter area with a dust bathing spot on top and space underneath for them to hide if they need and if they choose to lay their eggs in, thought I know dad's quails would just lay there's wherever they wanted.
    The aviary is going to have a solid floor with some potted plants (herbs, nasturtiums, that sort of thing) and probably some hay or straw scattered over the floor to scratch in.
    We've built the aviary in a way that once a week I can rake up the straw floor and just hose it all out.
    The total aviary dimensions are around 3m long, 1.5m wide and 2.5m high (I think). Of that the birds have about 2m x 1.5m x 2.5m. There's a little storage area that you walk through to get to the area, so pretty much open one door, walk in, shut the first door, open second door. No escapees!
    Anyway my question is do you think this'll work for quail? I know it'll take my conures a bit to get used to the quail and I'm thinking for the first couple of weeks I might put them in a cage to make sure they're safe. I figure if we introduce them in the next few weeks then Tika and Rory will be used to them by the time breeding season comes around.
    I'll take some photos of the space and the aviary when I get home this afternoon and add it but it'll have good cover, the aviary will have a corrugated iron roof and also sit under out eave, and it's going to have 2 solid walls to block wind too.

2. Birdlover 13

Birdlover 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    South Africa
    Quails do well in a mixed aviary, just provide enough hiding spots

3. Birdlover 13

Birdlover 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    South Africa
    Btw your aviary sounds awesome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by