Quails leg bone popped out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vicky1212123, Dec 24, 2016.

1. vicky1212123

vicky1212123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    My quail named Big Smoke was limping really bad one day, so I looked and her leg bone had popped out. By popped out, i mean there was a hole in her leg skin and the bone was sticking out through that hole. I popped it back in place as soon as I noticed, and washed the cut. I put antibiotics and a band-aid on it, as well as making her a bandage/cast thing with toilet paper and tape. It's been about a week, and the cut still easily bleeds. How long should it take to heal?

2. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Try making a splint. Maybe out of a straw or a cut kebab stick. When she walks, it probably moves the bone a tiny bit each time so itll take a very long time to heal and when it does it may heal crookedly. If you have her with other quails, it would probably be best to seperate her from them too and make sure she is able to move to her food and drink alright. When she bleeds try putting a little bit of cayenne pepper powder on the wound. It won't sting or hurt at all and it stops the bleeding almost instantly. I've used it lots of times and you can look it up if you want.

1 person likes this.
  3. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Oh yeah, and I think it would take about three or four weeks to heal completely.

1 person likes this.
  4. vicky1212123

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    Thank you, and sorry for the late reply :)

5. vicky1212123

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    i know this was a while ago but after several months her leg was not getting better, so we had her euthanized :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by