quails living with chickens

quailss

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
i have 4 female chickens. 2 japanese bantams and 2 red sexlinks. I am wondering if i could mix quail with them because i am thinking of letting one of the japanese bantams to incubate it if it was broody. I saw somewhere that they both eat scratch feed. Anyone have any ideas?

I was told to keep my quail separate from my chickens, because of disease from chickens passing to quail, I don't fully understand it, hope someone can give you a better answer I think if you go through the topics you'll see the same question asked.

Quote:
Any experienced quail owner will tell you that keeping quail witch chickens is a bad and dangerous idea (for your quail) mainly cause of deseases chicken carry.

chickens may be carriers of a disease without having an adverse reaction to that disease BUT they can pass the disease on to the quails and make them very sick or kill them.

Quote:
#1, THE DISEASE ISSUE. CHECK THE LINK FOR A BETTER UNDERSTANDING https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361

, THEY DO NOT EAT THE SAME FEED UNLESS YOUR BANNIES ARE CONSUMING LARGE AMOUNTS OF HIGH PROTIEN GAMEBIRD FEED (WHICH WOULD BE BAD FOR THEM--- RENAL FAILURE, CURLED FEATHERS, ETC...)

#3 BANNIES AS INCUBATORS FOR QUAIL EGGS ARE BAD IDEA- 1 THE DISEASE ISSUE AGAIN, 2- SIZE EVEN THE TINIEST BANNIE IS USUALLY TOO LARGE TO EFFECTIVELY INCUBATE AND HATCH QUAIL EGGS EITHER THEY CRACJK THE EGGS, MASH THE CHICKS DURING THE HATCH OR SMOTHER THEM ONCE HATCHED

SORRY TO SAY THE IDEA WHILE IT SOUNDS NICE IN THOUGHT USUALLY ENDS UP BEING A NIGHTMARE IN PRACTICE FOR THE OWNER AND A DEATH SENTANCE FOR THE QUAIL. I HAVENT EVEN TOUCHED ON AGRESSION PROBLEMS...

Back
Top Bottom