Quails moulting before their first lay

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by henri123, Aug 31, 2016.

1. henri123

henri123 New Egg

Aug 30, 2016
    Hi. We've 14 quail at least 8 weeks old who haven't laid yet but now appear to be moulting....would this stop their first lay? Not having much luck sexing them either...two are white Texas a &m, two cinnamon coloured, two big, dark and speckled and the rest Japanese. Fed on marriages quail pellets with mealworms added in. They have a grit bath but no other additional calcium etc. Light for about 12 hours a day, Kent in uk. Any advice would be great...especially about sexing!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

Sorry I know nothing about quail, but would suggest you post your questions under the Quail forum.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.- I don't know anything about quail either but, you can ask your questions on the "Quail threads." Just put that in the search box and it will come up for you.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Greetings and welcome to our community. Sadly, like the other members here, I know zilch about quail. I'm sure that the quail peeps will be able to help though.

Best wishes
    CT

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, henri123, and :welcome. Happy you joined us! Yes, try the quail forum. Good luck to you!

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. I'm not a quail keeper so I can't really help you with them, but good luck finding answers!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. japking

japking Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2016

Lack of protein is one of the reasons for molting but I don't think you have that problem. The other is seasonal changes. Also Quails don't lay while they are molting or in winter. Regarding sexing quails look for a speckled chest in females and a bib or no speckles in males. Otherwise upload some pictures! Would love to see them!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens! I know absolutely nothing about raising quail, so I will just say HELLO! And I wish you the best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by