quails not using coop

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tiaan Smuts, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Tiaan Smuts

Tiaan Smuts New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Hi all. I currently bought 5 jumbo quails. 1 male and 4 females. I bought a chicken coop and modified it a bit by removing the two doors and taking out the middle divider and then i build a yard of 2m x 1m in front of this coop. The quails loves the coop and also loves to take dust baths. The also started giving me eggs yesterday. I was hoping that they wil use the coop to lay eggs in or at least to sleep in. The stay in the yard but doesn't want to enter the coop. Does anyone know why this could be?

2. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

They are ground birds and will not climb or roost. I have a 2ft x 8ft ground coop in my aviary that they use and lay in. But that's the key, it's on the ground.

3. ManawaGirl

ManawaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Thank you for the info! My brother just started raising quail and did the same as TiaanSmuts did, modified a pre-built chicken coop with run. They all hang out and sleep in the run, and seldom go in the nest boxes unless the dog is outside. We always wondered why.

1 person likes this.
  4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

On my grow out side I use a 2ft x 3ft masonry tub with 2 doors on opposite corners cut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by