QUAILS ON THE LOOSE!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Judy925, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Judy925

Judy925 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2016
    Corona, CA
    Hi guys... Too funny to not share! I see so many posts about quails on this site. I would not have paid attention to those posts were it not for my daily quail visits. I live in Southern California and have discovered things I never thought were real. Take road runners for example; this NYC born and bred girl always thought many of the characters in Bugs Bunny cartoons were fictional (i.e. road runners) until I moved here. Quail birds were something I knew existed (especially in cartoons) but never gave thought to where they thrived. Were it not for my incredible next door neighbors (who were the ones who gave me my chicken which I have grown to adore and which dispenses a daily dose of utter fabulousness into my life ), it would still be a mystery.

One day I was on my patio and this bird hopped on the very edge of where our 75' wrought iron fence begins. It was so familiar looking (thank you Warner Brothers) so I looked up quails and VOILA! So I'm fascinated by it and suddenly ... POOF.. up jumped a second one. Then a third, a seventh, a tenth, and finally a twelfth quail. It was mind blowing to watch a real live cartoon playing out right in front of me. Turns out my wonderful neighbors own an aviary. The Quails were keen to that and would come around to pick up fallen seeds.

I never did get them thar birds to tell me why they decided to march across my fence to get to Jose's seeds. They just wouldn't spill their guts with an answer. I even told them I would invite Dick Cheney to my house if they didn't tell me what was up with this little parade when they could shorten their quest by hopping onto Jose's fence which is freeway close to the source of their delight. So I just sit back and enjoy the twice daily march of the pengu... um, quail birds. Have I gotten them on video? Of course not. Every time I tried, my iPhone would do something stupid (I refuse to take responsibility for that little phone's messes) so instead of fussing with a camera I decided to spend these precious few minutes enjoying this wonderful gift.

Which brings me to this question; why on earth do people feel the need to shoot these adorable, gentle, adorable, funny and adorable creatures? Who the heck is THAT hungry? If I want quail for dinner, I can just heat up the oven, grab one and throw him in. Who needs pellet rifles? Seriously? And after having seen one of these adorable (did I mention adorable?) birds with the front-bending feather on his head, I can't begin to understand the urge to eat these absolutely adorable (yeah, I guess I did mention adorable) birds. Especially when one runs the risk of a not-so-friendly visit from either Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd or Foghorn Leghorn (oh, the humanity!).

So to all you quail lovers out there... I get it. I totally get it!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are cute as all get out! I would never eat them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by