Quails Questions!

Cydneybirdlova8

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 30, 2013
can I breed a coturnix roo with a bobwhite quail? I really want to don't even care what they look like! just want babies with my coturnix and I want to get a bobwhite! thanks!!!

Honestly I have never heard of anyone doing this with the 2 species. It may be possible, but my gut is telling me they are way to far apart physiologically. I mean cotunix mature is 6 weeks vs 6 months. Egg embryo development is also way off as well. But who knows stranger things have happened. If you try it you probalbly want to use a contunix male as he would breed anything.

X2

I think they call that the "Bobbird" or something like it. Bobwhite, Coturnix cross. It is not natural for species to cross, so it is very unlikely that they will mate. I have kept different types of adult quail together and never have they bred with each other.

Last edited:
I've heard of them breeding but their offspring would be infertile? If this is true, can someone please tell me if they still lay eggs if they are born infertile? Like I said before I don't care what they look like I just want 2 adult coturnix and 2 bobwhites and babies. So If anyone has any info that would be great!! I'm planning on getting quail for Christmas and I don't know what type to get. I really want bobwhites. But if they can't breed then ill stick with buttons or coturnix. Buttons can breed with coturnix right???

Cotunix and buttons might have a greater chance of success since they are both old world quail and similar in life cycles, but still you are trying to breed hybrids. A mule for example is a hybrid and they are normally sterile. Some breed different types of partridge together and are what they term mule, which are sterile. You also have one other problem you might want to think about, A lot of these different species do not get along at times. Sometimes no problems, then other times they may turn on one and kill it.

Again, X2
wink.png

You really should not be keeping Coturnix with Bobwhites. Bobs are much more aggressive and can hurt or kill Coturnix. Bobs are kept in pairs, where as Coturnix are kept in harems.

If you want both types of birds, get yourself a pair of Bobs and a handful of Coturnix. If you want babies, get yourself an incubator. It is very rare for quail to brood thru the entire cycle of incubation, unless conditions are just perfect for them. And this perfection needs to be decided on by the pair doing the incubating.

So what type of quails would be my best bet to have babies? Because I have tried the incubator and I have failed every time. Beer had a successful one yet. The only babies I have gotten was from under the hens. So any suggestions??? And I want quails. So how would I get quails to breed successfully an incubate the eggs through hatching? I can take it from there.

You can't force them to become broody. They will do what nature tells them. All you can do is provide them with the perfect environment, something that mimics their natural habitat. Offer them plenty of peace and quiet, a good diet, all the things that quail need, and hope they go broody. It is not very common, although sometimes it does happen. Depends on the birds, their health, their environment and their hormones.

You might try going to a feed store, like Tractor Supply in the spring time, many times they have day old quail for sale in bins.

Yw I can always but these quail anywhere anytime. But I just wanted the satisfaction of MY quails having babies of THEIR own. You know what I mean? So what type of quails should I get for my 2 coturnix quails(males) so get the best chances of breeding and fertile eggs?

Coturnix females of course! LOL

You will need to get at least 4 females or more for each male. Any fewer females and they can mate the females to death. (the males will constantly mate with them and it kills the females) And you will need to keep these two groups separate or keep the one male by himself or with another male. Do not keep one male with a male and his harem of females. He can be killed.

Back
Top Bottom