1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quails with Coryza

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Melaniepit, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Melaniepit

Melaniepit New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Hi !
    I'm very new at keeping quails and I just bought 4 females from a local "breeder".
    The day after I brought them home,I noticed one of them's eye was swollen and couldn't open it. I'm pretty sure it's Coryza. I treated her with eye drops,separated her from the others and now she's back to normal but now it's happening to another one who is also getting better.I'm shortly getting fertile eggs from another breeder and I'm wondering if the quails can infect the new ones once they hatch? I also own a Cockatoo and five parakeets,are they at risk ? The quails were inside the house because I'm "skunkproofing" my chicken coop.Thanks in advance !

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wash your hands thoroughly between handling any of your other birds. As far as I know the only birds really resistant to coryza are waterfowl but I honestly don't know if parrots can become infected or not. I would assume they can just to be safe.

Is there any nasal discharge or swelling?

Can you listen to it's breathing? how does it sound if so?

Do the nostrils or beak area smell foul?

Is it just one crusty eye on one bird? Could you take a picture?

If you don't notice any nasal discharge or foul smell it could be as simple as an eye infection since they look quite nasty when they advance.

Once a bird is infected with coryza they will carry it for life and transmit it to any birds that contact them or consume their feces.

3. Melaniepit

Melaniepit New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Hi! Thank you for your reply,I haven't noticed a smell, they only had very swollen eyes. With a few drops of blood on their Heads.When it happened to the first one I figured that he just got pecked in the eye and I "cured" him with eye drops. But the second one had both eyes swollen shut. She's almost back to normal and I didn't take any pictures.my male has bigger nostrils than the others but I figured it was because they're all females. I've never had quails before and I only know what I read about them on the Internet! Thanks for your help!

4. joemorcos

joemorcos Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    I doubt females attack other quail but it could be an injury. one of my males had his eye infected and bloody for 4 days from another male who pecked him. luckily he recovered without any help (just isolation for a week) and it turned out that only his eyelid was injured.

are you sure they're not attacking each other ? are they in a very small space?

5. Melaniepit

Melaniepit New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    They're 5 females with one male in a big cage. I haven't seen them attacking each other but I can't rule out the possibility... Is nasal discharge the only difference between coryza and an eye infection?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by