Quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jackery11, Jan 14, 2017.

1. jackery11

jackery11 New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    I'm thinking of getting some quails but I'm unsure on what seeds to feed them etc... are they okay with chicken corn? As I heard it may be too big for them...

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I think some people feed them game bird feed.

3. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Young quail definitely need their feed ground up but fully grown quail shouldn't have a problem with crumbled or pelleted feed. Instead of grinding feed for mine I just sifted through some crumbled feed real quick and fed them the powder.

As for eating corn that depends on whether it's shelled or cracked. cracked:yes shelled:idk

Hope this helps!
    Hopefully someone who knows more than I do can give you a better answer.

:)

4. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I was hoping someone who new more would come along and that would be you!

5. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!

6. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I own king quails, and they have a mix of foreign finch feed, niger seed and gamebird layers/growers pellets. They really enjoy having millet sprays as enrichment, and enjoy having mealworms (crushed&dried or live) as treats. The baby crumble was rather low in protein so we mixed it in with crushed dried mealworm and my babies grew up well.
    The hens also have some crushed up oyster shell grit to both be grit and a source of calcium that they can peck at if the food isn't enough for them, supply the grit in it's own bowl for the hens.

My birds are rather spoiled though, getting tomato, cucumber, cabbage, brussels, blueberries, plum, orange, pork, plain natural yogurt and pretty much everything else under the sun as treats.
    I discovered they love pork, but won't even touch beef. They also dislike banana due to the texture, rubbing their beaks against the ground the moment they see a sliced banana, but that is just my quails. XP

1 person likes this.
  7. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    No, you don't.[​IMG] I just try to help people even if I just know a little bit about the subject.

1 person likes this.
  8. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    There is a lot that your quail will enjoy. But what they NEED is a high protein crumble to meet their high feed to weight conversion. Not poultry feed, but gamebird feed. Any turkey starter or gamebird starter containing from 24% to 30% protein gives them all of the nutrition they need. (Gamebird layer or flock raiser has too low of protein). You can give them treats including what is listed above by others, as well as many things from our gardens, bugs, crickets... But for the most part, any additional feed you give them like cracked corn (virtually useless nutritionally), scratch, finch seed, budgie seed, millet, chia seed etc... is much lower in protein so should only be a treat.

Mealworms are high in protein, it is like crack to your quail, they can't get enough. But the fat content is off the charts, moderation must be exercised or you will put fat instead of muscle on your birds. Ask me how I know.

If you are already giving them a low protein feed (24%) and then giving heavy treats at 12 to 14% protein, you will cause problems, both heath and aggression.

If the only feed your quail gets is engineered crumble feed, then they are getting all of the nutrients that they need and they do not require grit to help process feed. If you supplement their diet with near anything else, you should be offering chick or quail grit.

2 people like this.
  9. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

I totally agree, great answer :)!

Hehe please tell me you have a picture of a pudgy quail [​IMG]

10. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    I wish I could say that I do but the fat is noticed at cull time, it lines areas that just shouldn't have it and must be trimmed. But here's one that's in no danger of anorexia. Feet aren't even almost showing. lol

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by