Quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by emtserg, Aug 26, 2013.

1. emtserg

emtserg New Egg

Apr 8, 2013
    I just started raising quails and they are about 6 weeks old. I have only females and they have not started to lay eggs yet. My question is do I need to have males in order for them to start laying? I'm feeding them chicken layer high in omega 3 and supplement with table scrapes for more protein. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    The females are still young, give them time to lay. When they lay depends on the hen themselves, I had a 5 week old quail already laying her first egg, and then they all started to lay eggs at around 6 - 8 weeks of age.

You do not need a male for them to start laying eggs, only if you wish to breed.

Protein needs to be at least 22% or above for quails.
    I think it'd be better if you were to, rather than feed them chicken layer, look into buying gamebird finisher/feed. I've heard from here that chicken layer has too much calcium for males which could destroy their kidneys.

3. emtserg

emtserg New Egg

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did go out today and bought gamebird feed. I was able to find it at a local feed store. Will this feed work for my chicken's as well? They are laying and soon will be moulting so they will need the extra protein. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm learning a lot from your web site.

4. chrishw

chrishw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Does the tag list the protein? There usually are mulible game bird feeds for different situations, I learned this after being sold a wrong bag myself! There should be a white label on the bottom...

5. emtserg

emtserg New Egg

Apr 8, 2013
    Your right after reading the label I was sold the wrong feed. It's a game bird starter with 30% protein. Much higher than a 20% I was told it had.

6. Weirdness555

Weirdness555 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Don't return it! 30% will probably be fine for them, if you're worried maybe mix it with some corn or something to bring it down, but really the higher the better

7. chrishw

chrishw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    30% is actually perfect for 0-4 weeks, that's what you need! After that I'd just cut it a bit trying to hit 26-28%. I wish I could find some 30% locally!

It IS NOT GOOD FOR CHICKENS! I know almost nothing but I think they need closer to 18% and a different mix of nutrients. Your not going to find a feed that works for both chickens and quail.

Here is a quote from myself on feed from another thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by