1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Does anyone raise Quaker Parrots? I've raised one from a hatchling before, and hand fed it and the whole nine yards. I think I'd like to get back into it.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

when my son worked for a tree trimming company once, he brought home a nestling. We hand raised (her)?, and she was sweet for the most part. I'd say yes, I'd do it again, it was quite enjoyable. They are funny little birds, huh?

3. Poulets De Cajun

They are great little birds. They are also supposed to have the 2nd highest vocabulary in the parrot world, 2nd only to the Africa Gray.

4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I love my snotty little quaker, she is a guys bird and its always fun to wrestle with her when trying to feed and water.
    she will lay on her back and kick like a kitten and giggle just before she hauls off and bites me a good one.
    She does love my husband and son in law though.

would I raise them by hand, in a heart beat, there is nothing sweeter than a baby bird who is hand fed and raised with love.

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Ours used to bite you real good then laugh. The best was the time we had this jokester neighbor over and he sat beside the bird cage and teased him relentlessly...the bird was trying to attack him through the bars...so i walked over and opened the cage...haha, did that guy learn a lesson!
    It was my daughters bird and at that point in her life she was a mouthy teenager. I had to be careful that the bird was locked in his cage if i was going to yell back at her because he would fly out of nowhere and defend her by attacking me! I still have scars from that quaker [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Thats what I heard as well, right next to the African Gray. [​IMG]

7. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Quote:LOL!! Are you sure you don't have my bird. [​IMG] She is worst at the moment b/c she wants to sit on her eggs and I am having to fight them away from her. [​IMG] No boy - so no babies - I kinda of feel bad for her. She is ok as long as you let her come to you - don't go to her or she will eat you alive. [​IMG]

8. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    Here's a picture of my Quaker parrot Niblet
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, look at that pretty bird!!! I want one! They're terribly expensive though aren't they?

10. Poulets De Cajun

Niblet... LOL! Thats a cute name!

The blues are supposed to be a little more "sweet" than the greens, although there isn't any scientific proof.... or so I read.

I am in the re-researching phase, since its been some years since I've owned one. I am thinking about building an outdoor flight pen and obtaining a breeding pair.

Althought I'll need to specialize my equipment and such as parrots are WAY different than chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by