Qual pecking my hand

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rabbitapril, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Rabbitapril

Rabbitapril New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Silly me, I started feeding my quail live meal worm from my hand to get them used to me, but now when I put my hand in their enclose to change water ect, the are like piranhas !! they dive into my palm and furiously peck and twist my skin in a feeding frenzy. I have a whole bunch of quail tearing at my hand, I'm glad they are only small[​IMG]

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL!! They really seem to latch on to the fleshy bits of your palm, eh? :p

I used to feed my pet group by hand.... I use a kiss sound to trigger the "piranha" frenzy and just throw it in throughout the cage now!! It's safer for me and the quail lmao [​IMG]

Oh I still feed them a banana by hand and the sounds of four quail hens tearing into and inhaling, smacking their beaks in a feeding fever - it's scary to think of if they were say turkey sized, haha!!

3. Rabbitapril

Rabbitapril New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't know they could eat or liked banana, I will try some.
    As you say if they were turkey size I would have no flesh left on my hand, they have very sharp beaks even though I have cuttlefish in for them to peck at.

4. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hehe!! I've noticed quail can be sensitive to "wet" food at first and be put off by having a peck and having gunk on their beaks, some of them will even start wiping their beaks at the mere SIGHT of a wet treat but they always come around and then they don't care haha.

The quail didn't like banana much at first and a few wouldn't even try it until a few banana treat times later.

Same with a lot of their treats - tomato and pomegranate seeds were looked at like boogers from some of the quail until the second or even fifth time treating them - then the gloves are off and the sharp beaks are on fire!! [​IMG] Hehehehe

5. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    Do you feed the banana raw or cooked I know that is a bad question?

6. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Just raw :) I open the banana and take the top few inches off and hand feed it to them for about a minute then I give my dog the bit they didn't finish and I eat the rest of the banana still in the skin ^^ we all eat healthy! Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by