Qualities to look for in Silkie Bantams.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cozumeld, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Cozumeld

Cozumeld New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    Hi All I have been a long time fan of BYC and have read along for about a year, so I finally caved and joined. I wanted to get some input on my rooster. I would consider him a partridge color, he's a purebred silkie bantam hatched mid September. (He's actually a red*) I was hoping I could get a critique on him

Thank you all for your sharing your expertise and making BYC the be all for chicken owners.

Visually comparing some traits are easier than reading to identify.

Here is my silkie roo Bill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is Bill with Dottie (I think she's a hen)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They are both red (and yes, Dottie is a female).

As for judging quality, each accepted breed and variety has a written Standard of Perfection. It specifies size, shape, comb type, skin color, leg color, earlobe color, tail angle, weight, etc.

Bill does not look to be show quality for a few reasons. If you want to show you should look into getting some started birds from a show breeder. However "show-quality" birds aren't the end all and be all of poultry. If he has a good personality and you like him there's no reason not to keep him for a pet.

3. Cozumeld

Cozumeld New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    cool thanks.

Ill look up the qualifications, thank you for the input.

out of curiosity what do you mind pointing out what reasons Bill lacks the show quality look. I'm learning so I like hearing others thoughts about it.

how could you tell so quickly that, dottie was a hen? size?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by