Quality cooking knives - looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cjstanman, Dec 20, 2008.

1. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    We are looking to upgrade from our crappy, decades-old collection of knives for the kitchen and have been looking at Cutco, Wusthof and Henckels. So far I like the Wusthof the best; however, I'd like to hear your experiences and recommendations about quality cooking knives.

Also, recommendations for particular knives you've found useful for processing chickens.

Thanks!

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I can answer this. It really depends on how much you want to spend. For the most part Japanese steel in my opinion is the best there is. I was using Global knifes for awile and they are really nice. I have now went to Masahiro knives as they are a little harder steel and can retain a HELL of an edge. A nice Masahiro chefs knife will put you back about 150 to 200, but it should last you a lifetime. Henkles, wustoff, and cutco are OK but there is definetely better in my opinion. Also MAC makes a good knife as well for the money. When it comes to filleting fish though I like to use a Forchner cemitar w/ a granton edge "I'm talking large fish here". For the smaller stuff I will use a flexible fillet knife. As far as for the chickens we will use a razor blade to slit the neck and a good boning knife will do the rest.
    Here are my picks:
    1.Masahiro
    2.Global
    3.Forshner

Hope this helps.

Chef Mike

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I used to work for a chef, and he loved and recommended Wusthof. I have used them for years since, and I love mine. There's nothing like pulling out the perfect, sharp knife to get the job done. It's nice to collect one or two each year to add to the block!

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Handles are really important to me. I've never felt comfy handling a Wusthof. It's just too chunky for my grip. I have a Henkel that I like a lot, but it doesn't hold an edge as well as I'd like. This could of course be because some members of this household like to cut on surfaces that are not knife friendly. I really like the feel of the Shun and Global knives. I'll be purchasing something Japanese for certain next time, and I'll hide it very well.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have a Farberware set. They seem really nice. The ones I like even more, though, are my Cutco knives -- they are razor sharp!

Make sure you get a Santoku knife with your next set of knives. Those are very nice to have.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    We have Wusthoff's as well. I've never been more pleased with a knife than these. We buy ourselves 2 or 3 new ones each christmas and intend to amass a vast arsenal.

7. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    My good chef's knife is a Henckels--I've been very happy with it.
    Good knives are worth every penny they cost--and shouldn't ever have to be replaced.

Erika

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Be sure to read where it was made. Unfortunately, some of the good name brands are offering cheap, Chinese made knives at a lower cost in addition to their higher quality knives.

I have Sabatier knives that I have been using for thirty years.

9. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I have gotten my last few knifes from www.chefstoys.net. They have really good prices on there cutlery. As well as alot of other chef related items. Check them out.

Cheers!
    Chef

10. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Not sure if I could live without my Kershaw Shun santoku knife... It is worth it's weight in gold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by