Quality of life for a crippled rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittyacid, Jul 23, 2010.

1. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Okay, I'm still debating culling a crippled bantam chick. He will be the only rooster in a mixed flock of bantam and standard hens. He will not be able to mount them because of his leg which is bent outwards at the hock so that he ends up limping along with his one good leg and one toe of the other. He loses his balance a bit, but still gets around. He will not be able to run but will be in a secure enclosure and occasionally be allowed to free range. Because he will not be able to lead his flock like a normal rooster, will he fill inadequate? I realize that I am applying human emotions to a chicken, but my concern is that since he will not be able to function like his instincts tell him to, he will not be happy. I do not want to cull, but I want to do the right thing. I have no issue having a special needs chicken, but I don't want to be selfish either. Opinions are welcomed.

2. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    my general rule with my birds is if they can get themselves to food and water and move around a little, they get a shot at living.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:pretty much my rule also.

I had a roo with no feet... he walked on his stumps... obviously couldn't mount the hens but did everything else a roo does... watched out for his girls and called them for special treats when he found them... he was a good roo and lived a happy life.

4. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Wow mmaddie's mom, that is very encouraging - did he continue attempts to mate with them or just give up after a while?

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:pretty much didn't try... but he seemed happy with his girls and lived several years like this.
    He lost his feet to frost bite as an adult... wandered away one winter day and didn't show back up til the next day... feet turned black and finally fell off... in the meantime I kept food and water for him, not knowing what else to do. The one thing he avoided was the hard surface of the driveway... I think it grated on his bones.
    He was still the typical cocky rooster.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have a crippled Black Star hen that hobbles on one leg. Her right leg rarely touches the ground due to a previous injury. She eats, drinks, and lays eggs in a normal manner. Unfortunately I cant return her with the rest of the chickens, they constantly pick on her. She free ranges in a large fenced in area seperate from the others during the day and is as happy as she can be. I bring her in the garage at night and put her in the hospital cage. Your rooster will do his job, it's the only thing he knows, he'll do just fine. mmaddie's mom has proven that!

7. YangausFarm

YangausFarm New Egg

Oct 28, 2012
    Could you tell me what caused the leg problem with your rooster cause I'm have the same problems but have know idea what has created is in my Rooster. Also how did your rooster adjust?

8. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    This would be my main concern about keeping an obviously disabled chicken. They are often bullied, so a life with the flock can be terrifying, yet a life without any friends can be terribly lonely for a social creature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by