Quality of meat at 1 1/2 years and 3 years in layers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ethingtonart, Sep 17, 2009.

1. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    We are planning to use our "spent" layers as meat birds, but are unsure how long to keep them laying. I am currently planning to replace them with younger pullets at around 72 weeks. I was wondering though, is there an advantage in the quality of the meat to butcher laying hens when they are 1 1/2 as opposed to butchering them at around 3 years old?

I hope if their meat is, in fact, better at a younger age I would have a greater chance of being able to sell some of them as layers and still be able to let my husband have some for meat birds. (My excuse to sell some would be to off-set the cost of replacement pullets [​IMG])

Thanks!
    (I'm a vegetarian BTW:))

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    By that point, I think it's crock pot cookery in either case.

3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Yep crock-pot or soup.You cant bake it or anything else becouse the meat will be extremly tough and it will taste pretty gamey.

4. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    The meat will probably be to tough to eat, one way it would taste good is if you used a crock pot as wombat said.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yep, it's to the soup pot with them
    Soak them at least 24 hours in very cold brine water, 48 hours is better but 24 works.

6. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Crock pot - slow cooking, with lots of veggies.

The only down side is having to smell it for HOURS before you can eat it!

Like Scooter said, brine them first!

7. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    I've yet to own any of my own chickens, but I love it when the stew hens -- retired layers and broiler breeders -- in the grocery store go on sale.

Simmer gently on low heat for a long time and you get heaven in a soup bowl.

8. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Quote:I agree. I like this way the best. Chicken Fricassee would be a close second. Either way you're eating better than anyone else on your block.

Dan

9. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Quote:What store/section? I would love to do a test trial... [​IMG]

10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:What store/section? I would love to do a test trial... [​IMG]

There with the whole fryers generally or next to whole turkeys in my store. Don't be shocked when you see the price. In my area they generally run around $9. But if you make a big pot of soup or dumplings you can easily get 3 meals out of it. Obviously depends on how big your family is but when there was three of us we had more than three meals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by