Quality of MPC Eggs?

mommakatx2

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2017
Hello....I've got a various mixture of eggs in the bator at the moment...some ebay eggs and some MPC. I'm not entirely new to hatching eggs but it's been 10 or so years since I've done it. I thoroughly understand mail order eggs are a shot the dark.

My eBay eggs are developing nicely. They came well packaged and clean. My MPC eggs arrived well packaged but dirty. There was a note saying please excuse the mud but there are a couple with manure on them. No big deal...animals poop. Ok, so as we start the process I'm noticing that quite a few of the eggs are really porous, some with areas that look like cracks but are porous defects. There are a lot of clear eggs though we are only on day 6 but what bugs me is the porous-ness of them.

Wondering others luck with MPC eggs??

Last edited:
I have never gotten eggs from MPC, but if the eggs were truly dirty with poop on them, I would be worried about high mortality from infection if they hatch. Did you take pix? I guess you have to wait and see and don't hesitate to let MPC know about the state of the eggs.

I have never gotten eggs from MPC, but if the eggs were truly dirty with poop on them, I would be worried about high mortality from infection if they hatch. Did you take pix? I guess you have to wait and see and don't hesitate to let MPC know about the state of the eggs.

Eeeee I didn't even think about the infection risk. I just assumed that some eggs probably get a little dirty in a nest but maybe not. Ugh....i guess we'll just see how it goes but I'm not holding out for a great hatch from those.

Eeeee I didn't even think about the infection risk. I just assumed that some eggs probably get a little dirty in a nest but maybe not. Ugh....i guess we'll just see how it goes but I'm not holding out for a great hatch from those.

Yes - a little grubby is expected, but overly covered in poop etc. is not a good thing. The chicks can be susceptible to 'mushy chick' problems and usually die....I have my fingers x'd for you - let us know how it turns out..

Yes - a little grubby is expected, but overly covered in poop etc. is not a good thing. The chicks can be susceptible to 'mushy chick' problems and usually die....I have my fingers x'd for you - let us know how it turns out..

Ok, that I understand. I don't know how dirty they were compared to what's acceptable, I'm used to receiving pretty clean eggs so I guess I could say these are the dirtiest.

It's only day 6 so I'll update once i candle on day 10 or 11.

Back
Top Bottom