Quality of Pekin Ducks???...........

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hello everyone, There are a couple of questions that i wanted to ask about pekin ducks.....
I wanted to know is there any difference in quality of where Pekin
ducks(lings) come from?

I have a pair that just started to lay and the person i bought them from said they came from Mcmurry hatchery, and i wanted to know if their stock is the same as Ideals poultry because that is where i first wanted to buy ducklings at but they were sold out. Might there be any difference on how the ducks look once mature coming from ideal poultry or are they the same? I would appreciate any pictures from anyone having Ideal poultry ducks, or Mcmurry pekin ducks( mostly the male because i feel like my male looks different compared to other male pekins....)

Also what is the main difference in a show quality pekin? is there a very large difference like feather quality?
And if they are of show quality will they lose their other qualities like laying and breeding as other pekins do?

Lastly are there any breeders of show quality pekins that you might know that sell fertile eggs or day old ducklings?
Thank you all!

Last edited:
Does anybody know the quality of White pekin ducks from Ideal poultry? are they the same as Mcmurrys?
I would appreciate the help, so please do post!
thanks!

I have no experience at all with ducks but I do know that with chickens (and I assume it works the same) you are not going to get a show quality bird from a hatchery unless it is just some freak accident. Hatchery birds are for household use only so to speak.
smile.png
And from what I have seen, most hatcheires have about the same as far as quality though someone may know of some who do a bit better?

well thank you guys for bumping me up!
Well i hope some expert out there or anyone that has Ideal poultry pekin duck, and someone that has Mcmurry pekin ducks can tell me (or post pics) how there pekins look like......................Do Show quality pekin ducks even exist though? what is the difference?
Thanks!

Hello everyone, There are a couple of questions that i wanted to ask about pekin ducks.....
I wanted to know is there any difference in quality of where Pekin
ducks(lings) come from?

I have a pair that just started to lay and the person i bought them from said they came from Mcmurry hatchery, and i wanted to know if their stock is the same as Ideals poultry because that is where i first wanted to buy ducklings at but they were sold out. Might there be any difference on how the ducks look once mature coming from ideal poultry or are they the same? I would appreciate any pictures from anyone having Ideal poultry ducks, or Mcmurry pekin ducks( mostly the male because i feel like my male looks different compared to other male pekins....)

Also what is the main difference in a show quality pekin? is there a very large difference like feather quality?
And if they are of show quality will they lose their other qualities like laying and breeding as other pekins do?

Lastly are there any breeders of show quality pekins that you might know that sell fertile eggs or day old ducklings?
Thank you all!
Good thing you didn't order from Ideal.. I bought pekin ducklings but they gave me crested pekins instead :(((

Back
Top Bottom