Quality of water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fatboy Cluckers, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Fatboy Cluckers

Fatboy Cluckers New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Beaufort, SC
    Naturally I want to provide the best quality of water to my hens. My house is supplied through a city water system , but I also have a well. I have drank the well water plenty of times, but there is a sulfer odor always associated with it. As of now i am using the housewater for them, but the well is next to their coupe. Has any one else experienced this, or have any advice? Thanks

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    First, you might want to get your water tested. Generally manure sources need to be a minimum of 75' away from a natural water source. The test will test for bacterial contamination as well as give you a mineral break down, and most likely identify the sulfuric smell.

3. Fatboy Cluckers

Fatboy Cluckers New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Beaufort, SC
    Thank you Lazy Gardner, I will get it tested. I know there is a local College that will test soil samples, so I will check and see if they test water as well.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

When you get your well water tested, check for sodium, salt, calcium and other heavy minerals. Our well water is LOADED with minerals and sodium and while it doesn't taste too badly, we don't drink it. I never thought it would be a problem for my chickens however after 4 or so years, ALL my flocks began turning up with arterial hypertension and or heart failure from too much salt in their diet. I lost a LOT of birds from this. Of course I got them off this water and all of the younger birds have healed over. The older ones that survived do have high blood pressure but are doing well otherwise.

So I do urge you to be careful with well water. No more well water for my birds! :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. Fatboy Cluckers

Fatboy Cluckers New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Beaufort, SC
    Thank you Two Crows, no well water for my girls until I see the test results. I contacted our local College extension and they will test my well water, and afterwards I will share the results. In the mean time, they're getting the house water. Thanks.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Keep us posted! :)

7. Fatboy Cluckers

Fatboy Cluckers New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Beaufort, SC
    [​IMG]
    Got the results back, and I did a little research, but wanted ya'lls opinion.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am no expert on reading these things, but 23ppm sodium is less than what is in my well water. I am not sure about any of the other minerals however. I tried doing a quick research on line, but I am not finding what I am looking for.

I think the best thing you could do is talk to the water department about this? If this water is safe for a heart patient to drink, you can safely assume it's ok for your birds. The salts and minerals are what do damage to arteries and heart valves. If a human can drink this it should be safe for your birds.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Access your local water supply report. It will have in it the safe parameters along with what your city/town water tested at. Just one way to locate reference of safe parameters. City or town clerk's office will have a copy. Or make a call to the water treatment plant.

10. Fatboy Cluckers

Fatboy Cluckers New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Beaufort, SC
    Thanks to all who replied. I will probably end up using the well water from time to time, but until the chics are full grown I will use the water from the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by