Quality Store-Bought Coop That Won't Break The Bank?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmgirlsomeday, Mar 7, 2014.

1. farmgirlsomeday

farmgirlsomeday Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    My sister lives in another state from me and has decided to take the backyard chicken plunge after seeing how much we enjoy our flock. She would like to have 6 hens to begin with - possibly 8. However, she's the least handy person on the planet and there is simply no way that she could reasonably build even a simple coop using hammer and nails. It would be a recipe for disaster. She's also a single mom with a busy job as a nurse, so building a coop just isn't a great option for her. So she's been looking at some of the available store or online catalog available coops to buy pre-made or ready to assemble, and she's sending me links to ask me what I think, and they all look like theyre made of very cheap materials with soft woods and staple construction instead of more substantial materials. Plus, the ones that advertise themselves as being big enough for 4-6 chickens are really only big enough for 2-3 chickens. There are some exceptions, like the Omlet Eglu, but it retails for $1500, which is WAY more than she can spend on the coop alone. Does anyone know of a fairly priced, store bought (or online store bought) coop that will actually house 6 hens, and that's constructed well? She doesn't need a run because she can place it inside a large chainlink dog kennel that was left behind by the previous owners of their house, and then she has a securely fenced back yard around that. But she needs a sturdy, at least moderately attractive henhouse with room for 6 hens to roost, rest and lay their eggs, and which can be locked at night.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Have her check out a local feed store. Some have coop builders (like me) that build and sell coops other than "made in China" stuff. Wish ya the best.

3. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Don't buy one from a feed store that is a "kit". I almost purchased a $200 one at TSC last year and then looked into building one myself.

I realize you said she can't build, but for the same $200 I built a 4'x4'x4 with treated lumber that will last for MANY years! She could probably get someone to build her one for $100 + materials.

Here's mine (pics below). The run I built afterward for about another $40 bucks.

Key point - --- Find someone to build her one for a reasonable price!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    One of my favourite plan coops is the minimalist from chicken coops for dummies.. we built one, although i use it with call ducks lol the biggest problem with most prebuilts is they lack venting, are not quality materials and never house what they tout too. Period.

I do have a cheapie kit coop, we needed it ASAP for some fighting roos, i hate that thing my kid actually snapped the roof off it yesterday, so we screwed it back on.. i will be replacing it with a nicely built(ie solid!) wood item, for these boys this year before i go mental, it is not 1yo and not held up well against the cold and wet winters.

[​IMG]
    now on occasion their are some better built pre mades we do have one BUT it's small and would only suit 2 standard chickens max, it houses banties i got it as a floor model clearance otherwise the cost would have been laughable... if time is of the essence.. does she have any current buildings? often you can make coops within one and make pop doors for runs... it's hard i fully appreciate the lack of time but most kit coops are not worth your money or time and simply will need replacing later on.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    I would look locally, ask at your feed store, craigslist, maybe even a wanted ad. There is surely someone local who would build one for her for what she would spend on an imported coop.

She could also consider some of the ready-made shed kits at Home Depot et al. Those will probably be sturdier and possibly in a similar price range, and could be modified for chickens.

6. kenmlang

kenmlang Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2014
    Cut-N-Shoot,TX
    What state does she live in? I may be able to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by