Quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by allmychickens, Oct 9, 2011.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    what is the quality of my RIRs? I think they are beautiful! especially since they are 5 mo. they were from a hatchery. please rate 1-10 (10 is best)

my roo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my hen:
    [​IMG]

please tell me their faults

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I think all are 9 s except for the three before the hen at the end.[​IMG]

3. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    they are all the same roo oh and sorry for the bad lighting

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    As long as you think they are pretty, that should be all that matters to you.

For my critique. Maybe a 2 or 3 from both.
    They are not show quality by any stretch. The female has a nice dark color, but her body is not square, I am betting it is probably pinched towards the tail area. The breast is small compared to a show bird. Her head is narrow.

The male, his color is too light, his body proportions are way off. His tail is much too large in comparison with his body, but being young he may fill out more. Most birds his age would be in proper proportions already so I don't hold out too much hope for him. He also lacks the square body that a Rhode Island Red should have and is "pinched" towards the tail end.

They aren't the worst examples I've seen, but if you took them to an APA show, you would probably not place.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but it's an overview of what I, personally, see in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by