Quantity of feed per chicken...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CountryCentinel, Oct 17, 2011.

1. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    We will be receiving chicks on Nov 9th, assuming all goes well, being in a northern cold climate, the girls will be cooped up by and large, so not much opportunity to range around for food stuffs, so my Q is this, how much food should I put in their feeder per grown chicken, is there a norm? These are heavy breed standard birds. Thx!!!

2. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    tbh i get confused my self on this

the best thing i have found is to fill the feeders and see how much they eat that day/week and go from there.

i only have a handfull so i have a medium plastic feeder fromthe store.
    i fill it half way and it lasts about two days as they get to eat grass bugs ect.
    just make sure the food does not get wet or mouldy asthat is bad for them

hope it helps a little

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Keep their feeder available all during the day. Once the chicks are feathered out and no longer under the brooding lamp, pick up the feeder at night, for rodent control.

I can tell you that the "amount" of feed is constantly growing. 10 chicks will only eat a quart of dry feed at first, but once they are larger, they feed need will easily double. So rather than giving you an X amount of feed, let the chicks tell you. If they consume a couple pounds per day, that's what they need.

Waste is different matter. Chicks tend to waste a lot of feed, especially if proper feeders are not employed.

As juveniles, they'll eat 4 ounce of feed, typically, per day. Upon laying, a hen can consume 5 ounces of feed per day, even 6 ounces if they need the feed in making body heat. But again, let the bird tell you. Only if there is feed left in the feed trays when they go to roost at night, do you know you are over feeding.

4. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I'd keep feed in the feeder at all times, provided you don't have a problem with pests (rodents, bugs, etc.).

If you get or make a feeder with a lip on the rim and keep it raised off the ground, you will most likely find the birds won't waste as much by knocking it on the ground. I would also keep the feed separate from other items (grit, grain, water). And don't forget to shelter the feed from the elements as much as possible. I also would figure out some way to keep the birds from roosting on the feeder (funnel, lid, etc).

[​IMG]

As far as how much they eat, I'm not exactly sure. I simply buy another bag when I need one and I top off the feeder when it gets low. Don't bank on it, but I want to say that I've read that most birds eat 3 to 6 ounces of feed a day (your mileage may vary [​IMG]).

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I free feed all the time and mine free range all day....

My feeder is a hanging one...so less waste.

6. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Quote:hello what is the picture? i am really curios

thank you

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Its a watering bowl with water that can not splash out bc its top is shaped to splash the water back in the bowl

8. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    We have a 5 gal and 3 gal galvanized waters, and a 3 gal galvanized feeder...

That theory of just keeping it fed will do, I was just worried of overfeeding.

Thanks all!!!

9. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011

thank you

I did a simple google image search for spill proof bowls and this is one that came up. The interweb police probably will come and throw me in jail for doing such a thing without express written consent.

10. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk

thank you

I did a simple google image search for spill proof bowls and this is one that came up. The interweb police probably will come and throw me in jail for doing such a thing without express written consent.

tha nks all for the answer i did not know about them ! i think ill take al ook later on and read up about them

thank !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by