Quarantine baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Biddieacres, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Is it OK to put some baby chicks under a broody hen while she is half asleep? I planned to put about 4 day old chicks from the feed store under the first hen to go broody.

I have read on here many times that it is smart to quarantine new chickens before introducing to the flock. Will I be putting the others at risk with day old babies?

Has anyone else done this for a broody hen or is it better to put eggs under her which I have purchased?

Thanks!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would quarantine them. You dont know if somebody with a sick or diseased flock came in and was looking around the chicks, spreading their chickens germs to the baby chicks.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I got a four day old chick from a friend last month, did not quarantie, wasn't thinking, found out it gave mites to a bunch of marans chicks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Is it safer to get fertile eggs and put those under her? Can they carry disease too?

The other thing with doing it that way with the eggs is I may get a rooster or two.

(I am not allowed roosters in my town)

5. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    I dont think eggs can carry anything, at least that's what I was told.

6. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Quote:OK Great, that is good to know. I always wondered.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:That would be best, I think. Just dip the eggs in some Brinsea Incubation Disinfectant before you set them under her.

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:That would be best, I think. Just dip the eggs in some Brinsea Incubation Disinfectant before you set them under her.

What is Brinsea Incubation Disinfectant? Where can you buy it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by