Quarantine between baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BlueJaye, Oct 11, 2013.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    I have a single 2 week old serama chick, and am going to be getting another chick from a different breeder as a friend. How long do I need to quarantine them each before putting them together? Also, how far away from eachother do they need to be during quarantine?

2. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Hi! Sorry if this is too late to help. When combining two different groups of chickens, we've kept the two groups about seven or so inches from one another(in different pens) during the day and moved them further at night. We do this for one to two weeks until they're used to the presence of each other, then put them together. When putting the two together, you have to make sure that they don't peck each other to death. A bit of pecking is almost inevitable: it helps establish the "pecking order" aka status of each chicken. But if they are drawing blood or doing it repeatedly, separate them immediately. Again, make sure to watch them at first when you put them together. (Note: also be sure that neither chick is sick before combining them.)
    This is all the advice I have; I've never attempted any other method, and this one works well for us. I really hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by